Major Adventures

Just a bloke's records of how his life unfolds.

Monday, July 17, 2006

July 17 2006

Major Adventures & London Times


WEST END VISITS
So I decided that I needed to explore a little of the West End and the shows that are on offer. I have had so many friends who have lived in London and whom have visited London purely for seeing a show on the West End. Off I hopped onto the net to www.lastminute.co.uk and picked myself up a ticket in the front rows for the musical Chicago. It was a sexy, sensual explosion of talent that was performed in a small theatre with only props, no sets. On Thursday night, I headed back into town to a small theatre on Russell St to see a great play, The Woman in Black. 2 guys on a stage, 5 props and fantastic display of talent, its the first piece of theatre that has actually made me jump in my seat with a fright.
Of course, there is the opening of Superman the movie, which I went and saw on the opening night in London with my flat mate.
There were the fanantic fans there with their t-shirts on. Me, I had my lanyard that the gorgeous Jo Fasola gave me and I wore it with pride, I did, however, ensure that I left my jocks on the inside of my pants and not on the outside.

The Week at Work
Its been a very very interesting week at work this week with the advancements between Isreal and Lebanon, the school I work at is an active publically political pro-Isreal school, and of course with the action in the Middle East, all security has been stepped up at the school as well. Its been very interesting to be 'listening' to the conversations of the the 'High Jews' during break times. They have been great with me and explaining things to me that I have been ingnorant about. We will see what happens after the retaliations this weekend and see if Iran stays out or not. Its not looking too promising though.

The students
have been well behaved on the most part, I have described already the 'unreal' aspect of teaching these robotic, boot camp products. I have been impressed that a few of them have tried to rebel and test me. Last week one student had the audacity to say that one of my lessons was repeditive and irrelavent. Hrmmm listen here Princess... After a good talking too her in the class an opportunity for her to proove her wealth of knowledge of GCSE Food Technology, she then slouched back to her chair and sooked. The next lesson, she entered the room all chirpy, 'Hi Sir, how are you?' and was and angel telling her peers to concentrate and do their work. One student I had sent to Room 17 was released a week later, she is a new person! So its gone around the school that Mr. Major is strict, but funny! You try to get students to hate you and get a bad reputation but you can just never succeed, students are just too forgiving aren't they!

The week was broken up nicely with a delicious BBQ at Gary and Dave's house; a nice home cooked meal in a house with a lounge room. Thanks guys, again!!

A Saturday With Sa
m...
Finally, I was able to catch up with Sam and we ventured out into the big smoke of London, first of all the goal was to do the Monopoly Board Tour of London. This, however, proved to be too hard whilst finding so many other attractions that took our attention away... so the Monopoly pictures can be placed now as a work in progress! The question was of course, which way to go, where, when and how. So, we meandered through the city...Initially searching for Monopoly sights then just getting dsitracted by the hive of activity which honestly did my head it. There were millions of people ust buzzing around everywhere. The feel of London in summer is so much more positive and enthralling than that of London in winter. The Londoners are more friendly, happier, more helpful and personable. We had lunch at a wonder chain 'modern asian' called Wagamama: this restaurant has provided me with my next objective whilst staying the next 5 months in London, to try something from the menu every week. Reasonable prices and huge servings in a cool, calm and relaxed environment. After Chilli chicken and ginger noodles and a slice of white chocolate and ginger cheesecake, we decided it was time for a little exercise.
Walking through Leister Square, the 'cheaptix' capital for theatre goers, we headed for Covent Garden markets where there were a heap of street performers, buskers and all things interesting, TOO MANY PEOPLE but a great atmsphere. We found some of the icon of London and they were fairly easily accessible as the town was being prepped for a festival and parade on Sunday. Here I am, somewhere in town with Big Ben behind me.


The London eye was very very appealing until I considered being stuck in a glass capsule for 45 minutes on a full strength 32°C day in London town, great views no doubt, but I dont they have invented a deodourant quite industrious enough. So we continued on a walk right along the Thames river, through book markets, street performers, through a 'snack time' Turkish festival and fnially ending up at London Bridge, 7.5 hours later ready to take the tube back home for me to die on the bed and not move until 11am Sunday.

The London Buses on a River Thames Bridge, the colourful lit footpaths in London and of course the famous Punch and Judy in Covent Garden.



Tate's Modern Art Museum, was the old Power Utilities off the Monopoly board, now a magical transformation into a superb space I was so very impressed.








Traditional red phone boxes, I am still in search of the Dr. Who blue Police Box, but no luck so far. Just as there was no luck for the people who ended up in the clink here in London. This is the notorious jail house which gave the name 'clink' to all other prisons in the world. It's a dark, grime place down under in the sewers of London.

WORK:
I am currently searching for summer work, preferably in Europe somewhere as I have six weeks to kill, I'd like to be working somewhere else and earn some money, meet some nex people and see more places. I have placed my CV with a couple of job agencies offereing camp work: I'd be good at that one!! ;) I have not heard from the job interview in Italy as of yet. Saying that, however, I did buy a Learn Italian book and CD today and have done 1/2 an hours practice.
Still not enough money in the pocket to get back to Australia for the contract at Overnewton, with not getting paid over the 6 weeks holidays, it is just a no goer, unfortunately. The position I am currently working in has been definitely extended to the 23rd of December 2006, unfortuntately it is a replacement position for a lady who is so very sick with cancer. Its not a nice position to replace a sick person. I hope that I have the opportunity to give the post back to her. I wrote to Overnewton and said that I couldnt take up the position, they were very understanding, disappointed as too am I: no thanks to the end of contract in France.
Travel plans in the air at the moment for Australia and will keep you posted, you know it would just be easier for you all to come over here!!

Everybody take care of yourselves and send positive energy and positive thinking vibes out there to the people in the middle of all the bombing and attacks. The world is going mad, finally its not just me!!

Beers n Cheers

Jordi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home